Sunday, October 07, 2007

cut and sew machine knit sweater


Here it is and I have worn it a few times its Red Heart Fiesta yarn done on The Singer 155 bulky knitting machine.
I used knit interfacing I bought at the fabric store. It comes in white and black.
Don't be afraid make something small or use yarn from the thrift store to practice. Just knit up some yardage get out a pattern iron on your knit interfacing and YES cut it out.
Having a serger makes it that much more fun clean all the edges but I sewed the seams together on the regular machine.
The interfacing gives it a firmness around the sleeves and neck I like.
If you wanted to you could iron on interfacing to the whole piece. Then you'd have a less clingy sweater.
I have another one I made on the standard and I really like it. I was a sewer first. I love serging!
I cut a one inch wide piece of iron on interfacing for the length I measured the width of the back and front.
I measured up one inch from the hem edge. I ironed the knit interfaicng on.
I and turned my hem up steamed it and sewed it in place.
I intend to have a draw string on the bottom with 2 button holes for the string to come out of.

4 comments:

Lesalicious said...

Very neat looks warm. You done a great job:)

Karen said...

Thanks Lisa! Its fun to make something that end up looking the way I envsioned doesn't always happen lol!

sophia said...

Hi,
I am a new machine knitter---I have a Bulky 260---have not attempted a sweater yet, but would love to try this, love your sweater!
Will you elaborate please? Where do you buy knit interfacing? Walmart?? or Joann's?
What kind of pattern did you use? A pattern for a fabric top or machine knit??
How did you get the sleeves right? With the pattern? I'm thinking this may have been a pattern of a top you took apart....Would that work? ALSO, anything to show us that you have made lately using this technique? Sorry to ramble...Sophia in S.FL.

sophia said...

It's me again with another question or 2 please.
When ironed on the whole piece of knitted material, does the interfacing keep the knitted pieces from unraveling? I don't have a sewing machine, so can I slip stitch the pieces together to the edge??
With this technique, not necessary to make a test swatch, right?

I'm going to practice with Red Heart Super Saver acrylic. What tension do you suggest?
Thanks again!
Sophia